I guess I was somewhat prepared by my boss yesterday for today's news. She left a voicemail saying that I needed to call her back ASAP. She never calls me on the weekend so I knew it was serious. When I called her back I found out that the program I work for (Healthy Families) is being cut by 75%. This afternoon she came back from a meeting and told me the news. I had been chosen to be laid off.
The decision was made based on seniority, basically whoever has been there the longest got to stay. I'm still in shock and trying to take it all in. The hardest part was saying goodbye to one of my favorite families today. I have a lot more goodbyes too.
At this point I'm wondering where to go from here. I moved to Arizona in large part for this job. Now that it's gone I wonder if it's time to leave Arizona. I loved my job but other social work positions (for the most part) are not at all appealing. So is it time for a career change? Maybe this is a blessing in disguise that will force me to move in a direction or to a place that I wouldn't have moved to otherwise.
No comments:
Post a Comment